8th November 2019
A few observations from Wednesday’s committee meeting:
- We’ve witnessed several examples of what could be described as “unsporting behaviour” at the end of races, especially in the junior age groups, where athletes have prevented others overtaking by using unorthodox methods. We are putting this down to over enthusiasm and a lack of racing experience so we would be grateful if athletes, coaches and parents could emphasis the fact that we expect the best standards of behaviour in our sport without tempering competitive spirit.
- If anyone has obtained a replacement number they should use that one for the rest of the season. We had a couple of instances of people using homemade numbers at Bolton and they have been removed from the official results.
- On Saturday at Todmorden Registration will be at the Cricket Club for replacement numbers and those that have entered online.
- There is limited parking at the Cricket Club for Officials, team managers and marshals. Additional parking can be found at the swimming baths at the far end of the course and there is ample street parking. Last year there was some congestion at the Hare and Hounds car park, which caused some problems so please avoid that.
- Please note that any Perpetual Trophies should be returned a soon as possible.
- There have been reports of flooding in Todmorden yesterday but hopefully that should have receded now and I will post updates as soon as I hear anything to the contrary from the organisers in the host club.
28th October 2019
We’re now pretty confident that the results from Bolton are correct and will be confirmed at our next committee meeting on Wednesday. Please let either Ken Smith or myself know via email if there are still outstanding issues.
Well done to Dean Johnson and his team for their sterling work on Saturday at Leverhulme Park . I think most people enjoyed it in spite of the weather and very challenging courses.
I’ve got a few observations before the provisional results are published later today or tomorrow:
1. We are in our second season with no entries on the day and we had several request for numbers today. I’m sorry but we can’t make exceptions to this rule which was unanimously agreed at the request of our results service so it was disappointing that not all refusals were met with good grace. I’d be grateful if this information was shared as widely as possible.
2. There will be consequences for athletes who wear race numbers that weren’t allocated to them by the official registration process.
3. Home made race numbers are not acceptable, (there were at least a couple of those today and they will be removed from the results)
4. We issued quite a few substitute numbers today and clubs will be invoiced for these at the end of the season so please look after them and, if you were issued with one today, use that rather than your original one for subsequent fixtures.
5. Our small number of officials had their work cut out in the rain today and we are keen to recruit willing volunteers so please contact me if you’re interested. Even if help was offered just for a couple of races we’d be grateful.
25th October 2019
Arrangements for tomorrow’s fixture at Bolton Late and Guest entries can collect their race numbers from the rear of the officials tent adjacent to the finish line.
We would be grateful if everyone could secure their race numbers with safety pins at each corner as that way they are much easier to spot by our recorders and they shouldn’t fall off.
I’ve had several queries as to whether the fixture will go ahead in the light of the yellow weather warnings. Unless we are advised that it unsafe to travel, which is unlikely, the fixture will go ahead as planned. It will be wet but we should be used to it in our sport.
Toilets and changing are located in the building adjacent to the track but no muddy shoes are allowed in there and the track is strictly out of bounds so people will have to walk around the perimeter.
14th October 2019
Well done and thanks to Margaret Galvin and her team at Leigh who provided us with excellent, well marshalled courses and sunshine on Saturday. It’s always good to get the season off to a good start. However the results needed quite a bit of work before we were confident they were accurate. Quite a few errors were caused by people wearing incorrect numbers or providing incorrect data to Sportsoft so please check with team managers before racing again at Bolton.
If there are still outstanding issues please email corrections through team managers to me (Steve Duxbury) and Ken Smith. Our contact details are on our website.
Remember there will be no entries on the day so guests and other unregistered athletes must enter online before 7.00pm on the Thursday before the fixtures.
10th October 2019
A few notes from our committee meeting yesterday.
The Guest entry portal will now close on Thursdays before the fixtures at 7.00pm and not on Fridays as previously stated.
Club Affiliations must be paid before the next committee meeting on Wednesday 16th October.
Registration on Saturday will open at 10.30 in the upstairs club room at Leigh.
If athletes lose their race numbers they will have to collect a new number from Registration at a cost of £2.00 but please note that they will need to use exactly the same name as previously registered by their team manager, otherwise their result may not be recorded. It is therefore advisable to bring EA Licence numbers.
Please also note that race numbers should not be cut, folded or defaced in any way and homemade numbers are not acceptable. Headphones are also not permitted.
Unlicensed athletes over 11 years old will be deleted from the official results.
The presentation evening will be on Friday 7th February and not 27th February as it currently appears on our website.
Good luck on Saturday.
- 7th October 2019
- Team managers can collect their race numbers at the committee meeting on Wednesday 9th October at 19.30 in Bury AC’s clubhouse. For the past few years we have enjoyed good weather at our opening fixture at Leigh but the forecast for Saturday doesn’t look promising. Tents can be erected on the start/finish field at Leigh but please note that it is now a dog free area.
- Please don’t forget that there will be no entries on the day.
- I hope everyone enjoys the 2019 season.
- 24th June 2019
- At our AGM we made a few changes to the constitution. The main one affects the number of counters for the senior women’s teams which will now be four instead of three. Last season there were occasions when we only just had enough officials to perform all of the duties necessary to manage the fixtures so we would be grateful if anyone from the affiliated clubs would like to help in any way at all. Just get in touch with your team manager or Ken, Jean or myself.
- 20th May 2019
- The 48th Annual General Meeting of the league will be held on Wednesday 22nd May at 19.30 in Bury AC’s clubroom. Affiliated clubs have been notified and other applicants are welcome to attend.
- 7th December 2018
- The full list of 2018 award winners are now posted in the results section. All those named will receive awards at the presentation evening so please see team managers for your allocation of tickets. This year we have had a number of ties, including for the first time, three way ties. The rules allow us to decide “in a manner considered fair by the committee” but on Wednesday our decision was to allow the ties to remain. At next year’s AGM we will consider changes to the rules.
- We have commissioned medals for the teams and have decided to award Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Please let me know if team managers require extra medals. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We have used the same spelling for names as on Sportsoft results so please let me know asap if there are errors.
- 1st December 2018
- I hope everyone enjoyed today’s races in Todmorden. It was our first ever visit to Centre Vale Park and Dan Taylor and his team did a fantastic job organising and marshaling a great set of courses, so well done all. Not everyone will agree with me but I’m glad we finally had some mud, especially after an unusually dry Marl Pits!
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the sucess of the league throughout the season. Our starter, Gordhen Entwistle is retiring this year so thanks to him for his year’s of service. Provisional results should be on Sportsoft later this evening but if anyone spots any errors please get in touch with me before Wednesday’s committee meeting, when we will make them final and compile the overall results. (email@example.com)
If anyone has any Perpetual Trophies please hand them over to team managers so we can get them engraved for the presentation evening in March. Also if any clubs need extra team medals, and we are awarding Gold, Silver and Bronze for this season, I need to know as soon as possible
- 30th November
- We’ve made a couple of changes to the courses at Todmorden tomorrow.
The Senior Womens and U17s course will now comprise of 1 lap of the Start Field + 2 Long Laps.
The senior Mens course will now comprise of 1 Lap of the Start Field + 4 Large Laps.
- 29th November
- It’s our final fixture of the season on Saturday and we are running at Todmorden for the first time in the history of the league.
- Refreshments and changing will be in the cricket club, next door to the park but the car park there is strictly for officials and marshals. Portaloos will be available in the park.
- At our committee meeting on Wednesday we discussed a number of issues that have arisen during the season:
- Race Numbers. These must be worn as issued without folding or defacing in any way. It is very difficult to read and record them if they are reduced in size so please be warned that athletes who alter them in any way will be disqualified.
Pacing. This is not allowed and could lead to the athlete who is paced being disqualified. It’s unfair on other runners in the race.
Unsporting Behaviour. Thankfully there have been very few instances of this but there have been complaints of athletes barging each other, and we have seen isolated cases of it on the finish line video. We sincerely hope that all athletes uphold the highest standard of sportsmanship and we will take action if that isn’t the case.
We also expect that our officials are treated with the respect that they deserve as volunteers who give of their time freely in order that everyone can enjoy our sport.
Trophies. If anyone has Perpetual Trophies that were awarded in March please bring them to Todmorden and leave them either, in Registration, which will be in the Cricket Club or, bring them to the officials tent adjacent to the finish.
Good luck to everyone on Saturday. There are a few individual and team awards that will be finalised at Todmorden.
- 20th November
- I hope everyone enjoyed the Marl Pits fixture. I have never known Marl Pits as dry as it was on Saturday which made for some quick times.
I think the provisional results are without problems but if anyone has issues with them please let me know.
- I would like to remind team managers and individuals that the league’s Perpetual Trophies should be returned at, or by the last fixture at the latest. See the Results section for a full list of Award Winners.
- 16th November 2018
- Instructions For Marl Pits
I have made a few very minor changes to the course at Marl Pits because we have lost some ground in the Start Field.
The car park will fill up very early on the day so if necessary please park sensibly on the road without blocking residents’ drives. It isn’t possible to park on the road beyond the two car parks.
Changing, toilets and showers will be available in the pavilion adjacent to the track and refreshments, drinks, pie and peas etc., will be …served throughout the day at the club shop upstairs. Registration for pre-entries is also upstairs in the pavilion.
The Rugby and Football pitches are strictly out of bounds to athletes and spectators. I can report that the course isn’t as wet as usual but there are sections that remain very muddy.
On a more general note please note that race numbers must be worn as they are issued and not cut or folded and athletes should not start a race without wearing a number.
The on-line entry portal will be open until 19.00 on the eve of the races but there will be no entries on the day.
Rossendale leisure Trust have informed me that tomorrow, boys under the age of 16 must use the changing facilities in their building opposite the pavilion at Marl Pits. The entrance to the two changing rooms is opposite the entrance to the pavilion on the main drive. There will be signs directing them there.
- 9th November 2018
- A quick reminder that if you have lost your race number you must purchase another, at a cost of £1.00, from Graham’s white van which will be parked close to the Start/Finish area.
- I’d like to remind all team managers that their clubs’ £30.00 affiliation fee should have been paid by the first fixture so we’d be grateful if they could please check and if necessary contact our Treasurer.
There are still quite a few athletes registered with the league who are showing as “unlicenced” or “not found”, which in the case of the latter could possibly mean that they have registered with a different name than that which EA holds. Team managers were informed of these discrepancies after the first fixture and they will now be removed from the Leigh results.
- 4th November 2018
- The Leigh results have been corrected and are final.
- If any athletes from affiliated clubs missed the deadline for registering for the league they can register themselves via the “Late and Guest Entry” portal on Sportsoft. Guest runners can also do the same but there are no entries on the day.
- 12th October 2018
- The weather forecast for tomorrow at Leigh isn’t quite as bad as anticipated but we won’t have our usual sunny weather that we’ve had for the past few years.
- Team managers who haven’t already collected their numbers can do so at Registration in the clubroom adjacent to the track.
- Pre-ordered Guest and Late Entries can also be collected there but please note that there will be no entries on the day.
- 3rd September 2018
- We are now taking entries for the 2018/19 season and the procedure is as follows:
Team Managers from affiliated clubs can enter their athletes via the portal on the Sportsoft website, which will close on October 6th. Clubs will be invoiced at the end of the season for this at £6.00 per athlete but will only be chaged for those that have run in at least one fixture. However please only enter those that you think will actually run.
If anyone misses the deadline they can enter themselves in the “Late and Guest” entry portal but they will be charged £10.00, which covers them for all four races.
Guests can enter themselves in the “Late and Guest ” entry portal from 6th October and the cost is £6.00 per race. This portal will remain open until 8.00 pm on the evening before the fixture.
Please note that there will be no entries on the day. No excuses, no exceptions.
Race numbers will be available for collection at the first committee meeting on Wednesday October 10th. Team Managers will have already been informed that the £30.00 affiliation fee should be paid before October 10th.
Please spread the word about no entries on the day as we wouldn’t want to disappoint anyone at the first fixture at Leigh.
- 23rd August 2018
- Due to unforeseen circumstances it is no longer possible to stage a fixture at Astley Park so the November 10th fixture will now take place at Leverhulme Park, Bolton. where we have previously run. It’s a great shame as I know that many people enjoyed the course at Chorley but unfortunately the local council weren’t in favour of us running there. It means that we have lost yet another venue and that places the responsibility of hosting fixtures on to a small number of host clu…bs so if anyone can come up with alternatives we’d be pleased hear of them.
Leverhulme Park is a great alternative and Bolton Utd Harriers have always done a great job in the past so our thanks go to them for stepping in at this stage.
We’ve got a great new venue this year at Todmorden, a testing course and I’m looking forward to that fixture.
The Team Managers entry portal opens on September 1st and the guest and late entry portal will open on October 6th.
There will be no entries on the day for this season.
No excuses, no exceptions!
- 15th May 2018
- The 48th Annual General Meeting of the league will take place at 19.30 on Wednesday 23rd May in Bury AC’s clubhouse. Any club that isn’t already affiliated is invited to apply by attending or contacting our officers. Details are on our website.
- 2nd February 2018
- Our Annual Presentation is this evening at the Horwich RMI Club. Doors open at 19.00 and the presentation will commence at 20.00. Please note that Bolton are playing at home this evening at 20.00 so there may be delays if people are coming via the M61.
- 10th December 2017
- After the mudfest at Marl Pits the list of 2017 award winners are now on the Results page. The Annual Presentation will now take place on Friday 2nd February at Horwich RMI Club and tickets can be obtained from your team managers. Thanks to everyone who helped in any way to make our 47th season successful and congratulations to all our winners.
- 29th November 2017
- What a great day’s sport at Leverhulme Park. Three fixtures done and no rain yet but Marl Pits to come so bring your cagoules in December!
Many thanks to Dean, Nick and their team at Bolton United Harriers for well marked and marshalled courses. There were some fascinating races, especially the last one where the, now confirmed 2017 senior men’s champion, Jonathan Kay, ran Ben Fish very close.
The updated provisional results are online and also the series to date and we think the results are correct but please notify me if anyone thinks there are errors in any or both.
Please remember that numbers should be pinned on securely as otherwise they are difficult to read at the finish and handwritten numbers are not allowed and will result in disqualification. If a number is lost it must be replaced at registration. It will cost £1.00.
- 15th November 2017
- Arrangements for Saturday at Bolton.
Registration for those not already entered will be accross the track in the Indoor track. Toilets are also there in the Leisure Centre but please note that muddy shoes or boots should be removed before entering.
Unfortunately Provisional results will not be available until Monday. It could be interesting on Saturday with some individual and team titles possibly decided.
- Thanks to Stan Jewell and his team at Chorley for Saturday’s fixture. Conditions underfoot made for a series of tough races with some big fields in most of the age groups. Well done to everybody who helped.
Such large numbers in some age groups mean that the finish funnel becomes congested, particularly in the shorter races, so I would be grateful if parents, carers and coaches stayed clear of the funnel until their youngsters exit past the finish recorders. That would help us publish error free provisional results. I’ll review the video footage later and hopefully that will help to correct any errors.
- 10th November 2017 The weather forecast for Saturday at Chorley looks reasonable and the rain should have cleared by the time of the first race. Please note that there is no parking in Astley Park so please arrive in plenty of time. There are town centre car parks and a number of spaces near Astley Hall. St. Laurences School, which is marked on the race map is for Officials only but can be used by team managers to drop off tents.
The results from Leigh have been finalised and are now official. However we are still investigating a number of athletes, mostly entries on the day, whose EA licence numbers haven’t checked out. If they aren’t cleared by the end of the season they will be deleted from the overall results so please ensure that you bring those.
Next year we are considering online entry only which will mean no entries on the day. Graham Fecitt will be at Chorley to take entries on the day tomorrow and there may also be results available. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
- 14th October 2017
- Well done to Joe Galvin and his team who hosted a superb opening fixture of the season at Leigh today, where, as usual, the sun shone and we had some excellent races. I can’t promise 20 degree temperatures and sunshine for the rest of the fixtures and, in any case, I’m sure that you’ll be looking forward to the mud at Marl Pits in December!
The provisional results should be on Sportsoft later this evening and if you think there are errors please send details to your team managers or email me, firstname.lastname@example.org and I will review the video footage.
- 10th October 2017
- Race numbers for pre-entered athletes can be collected by team managers at tomorrow’s committee meeting starting at 8.00pm. Entries on the day for affiliated club members can be purchased from Registration at a cost of £10.00 for four races.
- 1st September 2017
- The Team Managers Portal is now open here, https://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2017/
- This is strictly for team managers and it will remain open for the whole of September.
- 21st March 2017
- The 2017 AGM of the league will take place on Wednesday 24th May at 8,00pm in the Bury AC Clubroom. Clubs who wish to affiliate can contact our Secretary, Ken Smith. The details are on this website.
- 11th December 2016
- I hope everybody enjoyed the final fixture of the league at Marl Pits. The final list of overall winners will be posted on here very soon.
- 2nd December 2016
- The course at Marl Pits is in relatively good condition for tomorrow’s fixture although it is very wet underfoot in the usual places.
- Please use the car park to the right after the entrance off Newchurch Road. When this is full the only other option is street parking but please do this sensibly with due consideration to our neighbours. The main drive past the pavilion up to the Golf Driving Range must not be used at all.
- Changing, toilets and showers are available in the pavilion facing the track and various refreshments are on sale in the clubroom upstairs.
- Please do not stray onto the football or rugby pitches either during the races or when warming up as the league will be charged for any reinstatement should it be required.
- There’s all to play for tomorrow in several individual and team categories so good luck to everyone.